Roast Chicken Recipe
Roast Chicken Recipe: Easter commemorates the Resurrection of Jesus Christ after 40 days of Lent (period of fasting) and as we know it, there is a close association with food. To celbrate the festival, here's a simple roast chicken recipe that you can try at home.
- 1 kg whole chicken
- 2 medium onions
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Celery sticks
- 1 bulb garlic
- virgin coconut oil
- 1 Lemon
- 1 mixed fresh herbs – thyme rosemary and bay
- Preheat the oven to 240°C.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it, to let it come up to room temperature.
- Wash and roughly chop the vegetables – there’s no need to peel them. Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled. Pile all the veg, garlic and herbs into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with curry coriander infused virgin coconut oil.
- Drizzle the chicken with curry corriander infused virgin coconut oil and season well with sea salt and black pepper, then rub all over the bird.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Carefully prick the lemon all over, using the tip of a sharp knife. Put the lemon inside the chicken’s cavity, with the bunch of herbs.
- Place the tray in the oven, then turn the heat down immediately to 200°C and cook for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the chicken to a board to rest for 15 minutes or so. Cover it with a layer of tin foil and a tea towel and leave aside while you make your gravy.
- To carve your chicken, remove any string and take off the wings. Carefully cut down between the leg and the breast. Cut through the joint and pull the leg off. Repeat on the other side, then cut each leg between the thigh and the drumstick so you end up with four portions of dark meat. Place these on a serving platter.
- When you get down to the fussy bits, just use your fingers to pull all the meat off, and turn the chicken over to get all the tasty, juicy bits from underneath.
- You should be left with a stripped carcass, and a platter full of lovely meat that you can serve with your piping hot gravy and some delicious roast veg.
Key Ingredients: whole chicken, onions, Carrots, Celery sticks, garlic, Infused cold pressed virgin coconut oil – curry coriander, Lemon, mixed fresh herbs – thyme rosemary and bay